About Business Navigators Scholarship
Individuals concerned with corporate social responsibility believe that corporations should always consider the impact of the company’s actions on all of the firm’s stakeholders: customers, employees, shareholders, local citizens and the environment. This obligation extends beyond any statutory requirements, i.e. organizations should proactively and continually seek new ways to improve the quality of life for employees and their families as well as for the local community and society at large. (REFERENCE)
Successful leadership of such organizations often requires a servant leader, an executive or manager who serves others before themselves. Robert Greenleaf, founder of the Center for Servant Leadership developed these ideas starting in 1958. His most important work, Servant Leadership (1977/2002), is subtitled A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power & Greatness. Business Navigators is an organization of business leaders devoted to Greenleaf’s principle of “Servant Leadership”. The organization shares experiences, skills, and relationships to help each other and their communities without expecting anything in return. (REFERENCE)
In addition to being among the first generation of their immediate family to seek a college degree, as part of the scholarship application applicants must provide the following documents:
- Two letters of recommendation from high school teachers and/or counselors
- A 750 word essay explaining why the applicant believes that servant leadership is an effective management tool and how they have behaved as a servant to others in their lives.
- A list of the books that they have read on the subject of Servant Leadership.
- A Letter of recommendation from a representative of a community service organization as to why and how the student has behaved as a servant leader
Once selected, in order to maintain the scholarship, student recipients must:
- Stay on track to obtain an undergraduate degree within four academic years,
- Maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, and
- Submit a written report to Business Navigators by July 15th each academic year, demonstrating to Business Navigators satisfaction, their continuing commitment to the philosophy of servant leadership.
Fore more information about educational scholarships, please email us.